Sunday, October 21, 2007

Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair

We both loved the Chilean writer Pablo Neruda. I had been singing Canto General with my choir in my younger days, he read the poems.

Here is a taste from Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair.

Full woman, flesh-apple, hot moon,
thick smell of seaweed,
mud and light in masquerade,
what secret clarity opens through your columns?

What ancient night does a man touch with his senses?
Oh, love is a journey with water and stars,
with drowning air and storms of flour;
love is a clash of lightnings,
two bodies subdued by one honey.

Kiss by kiss I travel your little infinity,
your borders, your rivers, your tiny villages;
and a genital fire - transformed, delicious-
slips through the narrow roadways of blood till it pours itself,
quick, like a night carnation, till it is:
and is nothing, in shadow, and flimmer of light.

-Pablo Neruda



Enjoy, my rare jewel of the Wire....